Be-Bop High School (1985)

 



https://nyaa.si/view/1550217
Fansub credits can be found in the link above.

Here's an incredibly funny story as to how this project came to fruition:
I had gotten ahold of this movie's soundtrack on vinyl without actually knowing it was (partially) a movie OST until I had looked deeper in the album's liner notes and saw film staff getting credited in it.
After having done some digging, I eventually came across a subbed release of this movie on a private torrent site. (FYI, said release is the only known English-subbed release online to my knowledge, and it's still only available on private torrent sites as of me writing this out)

Only problem? I had never managed to watch the whole thing because the timing on the subs was AWFUL. I see this a lot with Asian live-action works for some reason but the lines almost always only appear on-screen literally like a second or two after a character starts speaking. It's jarring.

Anyways. I had intended on re-timing the whole thing myself in 2019, but last month I decided to entrust this task to someone else since I no longer had the energy for it. It was then discovered during the process that the subs for the movie—which seemingly appear to have been taken from a Hawaiian TV channel, according to another user I spoke with—were actually...pretty bad. Lots of mistranslations, typos, and as the timer/translator for this project put it:

"The original translation was bordering on ARR tier at times."

Re-timing was all that I had intended for this project, but at this point I decided on just getting the translation for this movie overhauled as well.

So, to put it simply, here's what new:
-Timing has been re-adjusted to how it should be
-95% of the lines have been re-translated using the Japanese CCs as a reference
-Movie's main theme song & insert song are now subbed

That pretty much wraps this up. I really enjoyed this movie, so I may consider doing subs for the other movies eventually :)

Comments

  1. OMFG, you made my week.
    if you do even some of the other movies from 1985-88, I'll be the happiest man on earth.
    I only managed to find subs for the second movie from 1986 (Yotaro Lamentation) and they are even worse than those from hawaii youre talking about for this first one.
    Of course, time to rewatch this jewel with good subs!

    Just FYI, as you say it was only on private trackers, this movie is also on Nyaa, but incorrectly labeled as "Bee" Bop High School (1985) WEBDL 1080p x264
    here
    https://nyaa.si/view/1126870

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Bee"...jesus. Misleading description too. Someone else was just telling me about this half an hour ago.

      Someone provided me with JP CCs for movies 2 & 3 so I will be getting to those eventually. Not atm though.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I'm glad just knowing you are considering it, and it and puts me at ease... even if it's in 10 years.
      Knowing they were available at the jap version of several streaming services at full quality and no one was even considering (afaik) subbing them was killing me, hahahah

      I guess you already have the current eng subs for the 2nd movie, but if you don't (and if you even want them) just let me know. Also, not sure how I could help not speaking even a bit of japanese, but If theres some boring mechanical task or whatever, I'll gladly help
      Thanks again, I'm downloading and watching this right now!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the hard work! I'm also looking forward to the other movies

      Delete
  2. Any update on whether or not we’ll get subs for any of the other movies? Just watched this last night and loved it. Really wanting to watch the rest of the movies but I can’t find subtitled versions anywhere. Thank you for doing this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have JP subs for the next two movies, I do intend on getting to them at some point but I'm not sure when that'll be.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Home (1989) [LD] + Extras

Devil de Story (1983)

Sea Cat (1988) [16mm 1080p HD Scan]